Valentine’s Day engagement season has officially ended but we know engagements happen all the time. So, I’d like to say welcome to all the newly engaged!!! Some of you have set your date and you realize it’s sooner rather than later. I’m happy to introduce Karley Kiker, author of the book, “Hitched in a Hurry.” Karley got engaged and planned her wedding in 4 months! In her book she details how you can too, and not be stressed out along the way.
CBB: What’s the inspiration behind you writing this book?
My own speedy wedding planning experience! When I flashed my engagement ring in March of 2013 and proceeded to announce that I’d be getting married in July of the same year, everyone had two questions: “Why?” and “How?”
The “why” was easy. I knew that Taylor was the man God had intended for me, and I wanted to become his wife and teammate sooner rather than later. As for the “how,” I honestly didn’t have a clue—but I figured there were plenty of materials out there that would help me plan a wedding on a less-than-traditional timeline. Surprise! That information was nowhere to be found, so I began writing an online column for D Weddings magazine that documented my whirlwind planning process. My book, Hitched in a Hurry, is an extension of that original column and includes time sensitive To-Do lists, edited planning guides, gift suggestions, vow-writing tools, and so much more. I wrote Hitched to give other women all the tools they need to confidently plan a wedding in six months or less, and my hope and prayer is that the book will encourage readers to focus on building a rock-solid marriage rather than fixating on the short-lived glamour of the wedding day event.
CBB: Did you find that vendors are more reluctant to work with brides when there’s less time?
I did not find that vendors were reluctant to work with me—however, some were simply unavailable! As a Hitched in a Hurry bride, you will frequently have to exercise flexibility (referring to the attitude department here, but a weekly dose of yoga doesn’t hurt). I suggest making an A list and a B list of vendors, booking final selections as quickly as possible, and stepping away from Pinterest once contracts have been signed! There’s no room for second guessing when you’re getting hitched in a hurry.
CBB: What 3 things should a bride keep in mind when planning a wedding with a short amount of time?
1. Make time for pre-marital counseling. Yes, you’re in a rush…but is any aspect of the wedding day more important than laying the foundation for a healthy marriage? It trumps table linens, that’s for sure!
2. There’s no such thing as perfect, so don’t obsess over achieving it. It’s okay if something goes wrong. It’s okay if you have to hire a DJ because the band you wanted isn’t available. It’s okay if you ordered a raspberry white chocolate cake but on the wedding day, you actually slice into amaretto. The commitment you’re making is vastly more important than the decor you’re selecting, so you know how the saying goes…don’t sweat the small stuff.
3. When you’ve found The Gown of All Gowns, stop shopping! It’s tricky enough to get a wedding gown selected and shipped in six months or less. If you change your mind halfway through that process, well…it’s not exactly socially acceptable to walk the aisle naked, you know what I mean?
CBB: If you had to do it all over again what would you have changed?
Truly, nothing. Okay, I probably would have called the hotel providing accommodations for my guests one more time to make sure they knew when to deliver welcome bags. But I can honestly say that our wedding day was everything I hoped it would be—not perfect, but God-honoring and meaningful and memorable. I couldn’t ask for more!
CBB:What’s next for you and your writing career?
I’ve been working on a young adult fiction novel that I hope to release this year. Obviously, I kind of have a thing for brides and grooms and weddings, so you might see one or two (or twelve) new projects that have to do with love-and-marriage pop up in the future! Writing is what I’ve always wanted to do, and I feel blessed beyond measure that the Lord has allowed me to pursue a career in this field. No matter what project I’m working on, I pray that Jesus Christ receives glory and that readers come to know Him more through the words He’s given me to share. I wouldn’t have a love story without Him, and I don’t want to have a career without him, either.
Thanks so much Karley, for stopping by and sharing how brides can plan a speedy wedding! Karley’s book is available via both Amazon & Barnes and Noble. However, as a special gift to Chic Brown Bride readers Karley is giving away a copy of her book! Are you a Chic Brown Bride who’s getting Hitched in A Hurry? Here’s how to win the book:
1. Head to Instagram and follow both ChicBrownBride AND Hitched_In_A_Hurry
2. Repost the Picture from Either one of our pages and tag us #cbbhitchedinahurry explaining why you need this book.
3. If you are not on Instagram or if you’re page is private you may leave a comment below explaining why you need the book.
This giveaway is valid until Thursday March 5.
Head to Instagram NOW!!! Good luck ladies!!!